Grand Tacon Theater
The Great Theatre of Havana (Gran Teatro de La Habana), was officially opened in 1838 in Havana, Cuba, built with slave labor, named after Captain Miguel Tacon with the help of fish baron Francisco Marty y Torrens. Located in Paseo del Prado, in a building known as the Palacio del Centro Gallego. It was an internationally regarded venue where American artists such as the Creole pianist-composer Louis Gottschalk conducted grand orchestral works as well as Italian and French virtuosos.
Francisco Covarrubias, (1774-1850), former actor, becomes the most prominent playwright.