THE ONLY BOOKS I REMEMBER ARE THE ONES PEOPLE TELL ME ABOUT…WORD OF MOUTH PRESALES 10-14

Leave a comment


EighthwonderStraightOutta1

Advertisements

EIGHTH WONDER: THE THOMAS BETHUNE STORY, PRESALES OCTOBER 14, 2015. A true story of a slave born blind and feeble who began playing Mozart at 3.

Leave a comment


Source: EIGHTH WONDER: THE THOMAS BETHUNE STORY, PRESALES OCTOBER 14, 2015. A true story of a slave born blind and feeble who began playing Mozart at 3.

19th Century, Antebellum Gambling, Mississippi

1 Comment


Home » Articles » Gambling in Mississippi: Its Early History
Mississippi History Now Mississippi Historical SocietySite ToolsSponsorsEditorial Advisory Staff
Back Home  
Avelez Hotel in BiloxiAvelez Hotel in Biloxi, built in the late 1920s, was one of many hotels on the Mississippi Gulf Coast that offered gambling activities. Located on Howard Street, room rates were $1.50 to $5.00, with tub or shower. It was demolished in the 1950s. Postcard courtesy Deanne Nuwer.

Larger view


The White House Hotel in BiloxiIn early 20th century, The White House Hotel in Biloxi offered slot machines for its guest, along with dancing and golfing. Today, in early 21st century, it awaits renovation. Postcard courtesy Deanne Nuwer.

Larger view


Postcard showing the entrance to the Buena Vista HotelPostcard showing the entrance to the Buena Vista Hotel in Biloxi. The hotel was damaged by fire and then neglect before it was ultimately demolished. Its site is now a parking lot for the Beau Rivage Casino. Postcard courtesy Deanne Nuwer.

Larger view


Out for a night in BiloxiOut for a night in Biloxi. Gambler Bob Thompson, center, in the lobby of the Avelez Hotel cashing in his winning bet against Salvatore Joseph Sicuro. The winner got to kiss Sicuro’s wife, Josephine Louise Sicuro, left. Sicuro, rear, had his lounge business in the Avelez Hotel. Circa 1946 photograph courtesy Claude Sicuro.

Larger view


Gamblers in a juke jointOut for a night in Clarksdale, Mississippi. Gamblers in a juke joint. November 1939 photograph by Marion Post Wolcott. Courtesy Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division. Call No: LC-USF34-052487-D

Larger view


The Broadwater Beach HotelThe Broadwater Beach Hotel was built in 1938 specifically to cater to out-of-state and Mississippi gamblers. Damaged by Hurricane Camille, the hotel was restored and still exists. Postcard courtesy Deanne Nuwer.

Larger view


Gamblers in the lobby of the Tivoli HotelGamblers in the lobby of the Tivoli Hotel on the Gulf Coast. Late 1940s photograph courtesy Deanne Nuwer.

Larger view


Feature Story

Gambling in Mississippi: Its Early History

By Deanne S. Nuwer

Gambling in Mississippi is centuries old. Before Europeans or Africans called the state their home, Choctaw, Chickasaw, and other Indian peoples in the region gambled regularly. American Indians were fond of games and gambling, according to early accounts.

One of the most popular sports that Indians wagered on was stick ball, or ishtaboli, which means “little brother of war.” Highly competitive and combative, two teams tried to score by tossing a ball against the opposing team’s goal post. Players used special sticks to hurl the ball. This game resembled a modern-day combination of football and lacrosse, without helmets and padding. Like today’s sports betting, wagers on the outcome of the game were placed. Wagers often included all of the players’ possessions.

Cards and colonists

After Europeans and Africans established themselves in the Mississippi region, gambling practices continued in different forms. Checkers, cards, and billiards were popular wagering games among early French colonists. Card playing was especially popular. Promissory notes have been found in early 18th-century settlements written on the backs of homemade cards with the loser pledging a future payment to the winner.

When Mississippi was a Spanish territory in the 1790s, horse racing enthusiasts built the Fleetfield Race Track in Natchez. Completed in 1795, Natchezians went to the track and placed bets on favorite horses and jockeys, while enjoying the social atmosphere. Thus, when Mississippi became a state December 10, 1817, gambling was already a part of its past.

Billiards in Biloxi

During the 1830s and 1840s, the population of the state grew. Entertainment opportunities also increased. Many early 19th-century Mississippians went to the Mississippi Coast on the Gulf of Mexico to enjoy its resorts and mild weather. Hotels offered lawn bowling, billiards, sailing, hunting, and dancing. Early tourist destinations in Biloxi included the Magnolia Hotel, the Nixon Hotel, Madame Pradat’s, and the Shady Grove Hotel. All of the hotels provided entertainment and gambling options.

Mississippians also traveled to Natchez and Vicksburg on the Mississippi River where gambling was prevalent, especially at The Landing, a riverside region in Vicksburg, and in the Natchez-Under-the-Hill district. In these two river cities, steamboat travelers encountered gambling houses where billiards, card games, and other betting events occurred. Horse racing and cockfighting were also popular betting sports in antebellum Mississippi, as was riverboat gambling.

Schooners and ships

After the Civil War (1861-1865), tourists returned to the Gulf Coast as the Louisville & Nashville Railroad opened passenger service between Mobile, Alabama, and New Orleans, Louisiana. Many people from New Orleans visited the Mississippi Gulf Coast, enjoying the local hospitality at the growing number of hotels.

Schooner races also became a popular activity for betting on the Gulf Coast. Many seafood factories had been built along the Coast by the 1890s, and each one of them constructed its own schooners for harvesting shrimp and oysters. However, in June and July, the factories organized races for cash prizes to see which one of them had the fastest schooner.

By 1912, the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast was connected by shell roads, railroad lines, and a trolley system. The Coast and Piney Woods regions were booming. When World War I ended in 1919, the Piney Woods region provided much-needed lumber to markets around the world. Shipbuilding to freight the lumber became an important industry to the state’s economy.

After Prohibition was enacted July 1, 1919, some of the ships once used for hauling lumber engaged in transporting illegal liquor to entertainment establishments along the Mississippi Coast and to other major cities in the Gulf region. From the Caribbean Islands, particularly Cuba, to various ports along the Mississippi Sound, ships secretly sailed around the Barrier Islands and bayous. One island, Dog Key, was a particularly popular stopping-off point for those transporting illegal liquor.

Dog Key Island, which was only three miles long and about 487 acres, had been used for years by local fishermen because artesian springs were there, providing fresh water. During Prohibition it became a haven for bootleggers. Realizing its importance because of the fresh water supply and its location twelve miles outside of the jurisdiction of United States claims, three men decided to develop a resort there. The men, Colonel Jack W. Apperson, Walter “Skeet” Hunt, and Arbeau Caillavet, financed the Isle of Caprice Hotel and Resort that was built on Dog Key in 1926. Any visitor who paid the 75-cent fare could take the short boat trip of about thirty minutes to the Isle of Caprice and gamble at its casino. There were roulette wheels, dice tables, and other gambling devices available.

The Isle of Caprice was very popular until storms and the Gulf of Mexico’s currents took their toll on the sandy Dog Key. Adding to the environmental problems, people visiting the island picked the sea oats that somewhat stabilized the island’s sand. As a result, the fragile ecosystem maintained by the plants’ root systems was destroyed. By 1932, the Isle of Caprice Resort was completely submerged.

Slots and “The Strip”

Along the Mississippi Gulf Coast, however, legal gambling continued at hotels such as the Pine Hills, the Edgewater Gulf, the Tivoli, the Buena Vista, and the White House. These hotels and many smaller establishments offered slot machines for their guests, along with other activities such as dancing and golfing. Slot machines also appeared in grocery stores and other businesses. Gambling devices were more prevalent along the Gulf Coast and in Mississippi River towns, where gambling had historically existed, than in other sections of the state. Yet, elsewhere in the inland counties of Mississippi, roadhouses supplied back room gambling activity. Roadhouses visited by white people were generally called “honky-tonks,” and those visited by blacks were called “juke joints.” In fact, a federal tax and state privilege tax were paid for each machine that operated anywhere in the state.

Because gambling was so profitable, the Broadwater Beach Hotel was built in 1938 specifically to cater to out-of-state and Mississippi gamblers who could afford to gamble. People flocked to the gaming establishments that lined the Mississippi Gulf Coast. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, gambling was viewed as a means to stimulate the economy, especially along the Gulf Coast.

Throughout the 1940s and 1950s, gambling expanded along the Coast. By 1950, the opening of U.S. Highway 90, the first four-lane super highway, boosted travel along the Coast. In nightclubs lining Highway 90, entertainers such as Elvis Presley, Jayne Mansfield, Andy Griffin, and Hank Williams Sr., performed. Gambling and entertainment were everywhere along “The Strip.”

Citizens and the Kefauver Committee

However, not every Mississippian was comfortable with the atmosphere that highlighted the gambling night life. In early 1950, a group of Gulf Coast ministers organized a movement to outlaw gambling on the Coast. Calling themselves the Biloxi Protestant Ministerial Association and a Group of Interested Laymen, they sought to outlaw slot machines in Harrison County. Their concern was that laws were not being enforced regarding the illegal operation of slot machines. Meeting regularly with like-minded citizens in their respective churches, they advertised in The Daily Herald a list of statutes that prohibited gambling as outlined in the Mississippi Law Code of 1942. The group believed gambling was harmful to family life and to individuals who could not control themselves when they spent too much money at the slot machines.

By 1951, the U.S. Senate Committee to Investigate Organized Crime in Interstate Commerce had also begun hearings to determine the extent of organized crime in the casino industry throughout the United States. Senator Estes Kefauver from Tennessee headed the committee and it was soon called the Kefauver Committee. The Gulf Coast ministers and citizens used the hearings to call more attention to the slot machine problem on the Coast. They advertised the fines and imprisonment stipulations for breaking the Mississippi laws and continued to demand the enforcement of those laws by local officials. As a result, law officials seized slot machines in various clubs and stores in Harrison County and dumped them in the Back Bay. The law officers also arrested the owners of the machines.

Officials at Keesler Air Force Base, who also believed that gambling was a bad influence on the men and women stationed there, joined in the call for enforcing anti-gambling laws in Harrison County. Keesler officials were concerned that the 327 bars, supper clubs, and other businesses in Harrison County would exploit the thousands of men and women who were stationed there. It was believed that illegal slot machines tempted the young men and women to gamble away their hard-earned money when the chances of winning at the slot machines were almost non-existent.

After several days of investigations and hearings in Biloxi, the Kefauver Committee condemned the gambling establishments, but did not close them. The report stated that the availability of slot machines and other gambling devices was demoralizing to the citizens of Biloxi and Keesler Air Force Base and called the gambling operations “unsavory.” It urged the Coast not to tolerate any disregard for the law. After this report, a crackdown on gambling operations did occur for awhile in Harrison County. The mayor of Biloxi promised to enforce laws as related to slot machines and other gambling devices during his administration. People were arrested and had to pay fines, sometimes as high as $250 for owning and operating slot machines. Thereafter, gambling operations began to decline.

Clubs on the Coast

Throughout the 1960s, clubs such as the Fiesta, Gus Stevens, the Beach Club, and Mr. Lucky’s all offered games of chance. Back room gambling had not stopped. Across the state and along the Coast, these clubs and other establishments had slot machines and such gambling devices as roulette wheels, even as public opinion was turning against gambling.

Hurricane Camille hit the Mississippi Coast on August 19, 1969, destroying homes and businesses. The gambling industry along the Coast did not recover from the damaging effects of the hurricane, nor did the Coast’s tourist industry. In the 1980s, the economy of the coastal region was still floundering.

Casinos and the new century

The 1990s, however, brought new gambling interests for Mississippi when Congress passed the National Indian Gaming Act in 1988. Consequently, by 1994, the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians had opened the Silver Star Casino in Neshoba County. Along the Mississippi Gulf Coast and in towns along the Mississippi River, local legislators also realized the revenue advantage of legalizing gambling.

Mississippi Senator Tommy Gollott, a Democrat from the 50th Senate District in Harrison County, spearheaded legislation for dockside gambling to help the slumping state economy. As a result, on June 29, 1990, the Mississippi Legislature passed the Mississippi Gaming Control Act. This act stated that casino gambling was allowed only in counties along the Mississippi River and the Gulf Coast, as long as the voters in those eligible areas approved it. To date, in addition to Neshoba County, legalized casino gambling exists in Tunica, Washington, Adams, Warren, Hancock, and Harrison counties.

Hancock County, on December 5, 1990, was the first Mississippi county to approve dockside gambling. Harrison County quickly followed. Two years after the Gaming Control Act passed, the Isle of Caprice Casino opened in Biloxi. By October 1992, Splash Casino in Tunica County opened. Today, in 2005, there are about thirty gaming properties along the Gulf Coast and Mississippi River. Over 42 million people visited Mississippi casinos in 2004, with the vast majority of them coming from outside of the state.

Deanne S. Nuwer, Ph.D., is assistant professor of history at the University of Southern Mississippi.

Posted March 2005

References:

Gambling Vertical File, Down South Magazine, May-June 1952 and September-October, 1958; Mississippi Guide, December 8, 1937, Biloxi Public Library, Biloxi, Mississippi, The Biloxi News, May 30, 1926; and New Orleans, The New Orleans Item, July 11, 1926.

Hearing Before the Preparedness Subcommittee of the Committee on Armed Services, United States Senate 82nd Congress First Session on Illegal Gaming Activities Near Keesler Air Force Base. Washington, D.C.: United States Government Printing, 1952.

O’Brien,Greg. Choctaws in a Revolutionary Age, 1750-1830, Lincoln, Nebraska: University of Nebraska Press, 2002: 41-42.

Portre-Bobinske, Germaine. “French Civilization and Culture in Natchitoches,” dissertation, George Peabody College for Teachers, August 1940, 33.

Sullivan, Charles L. and Murella Hebert Powell. The Mississippi Gulf Coast: Portrait of a People. Sun Valley, California: American Historical Press, 1999: 48.

Swanton, John R. Source Material for the Social and Ceremonial Life of the Choctaw Indians. Tuscaloosa, Alabama: University of Alabama Press, 2001: 140-160.

Back Home Back to Top Lesson Plan for this Feature
Mississippi Historical Society © 2000–2012. All rights reserved.

The Eighth Wonder, Blind Tom

Leave a comment


The Eighth Wonder

The Eighth Wonder, Blind Tom

FRUITS AND THE NEW AMERICAN COLONIES

Leave a comment


History of Introduced Fruits into America – Native American Fruit Trees and Hybrid Fruit Tree Improvements Print E-mail
Your activity Garden & flowers
Written by Patrick Malcolm
Thursday, 16 July 2009 00:00
Copyright (c) 2006 Patrick Malcolm Ty Ty Nursery http://www.tytyga.comChristopher Columbus in 1493 introduced citrus trees into America on the Island of Haiti, by planting the seed of the sweet orange tree, the sour orange, citron, lemon, lime, and pummelo fruit trees. Records show that citrus trees were well established by the Spanish in coastal South Carolina and Saint Augustine, Florida by the year 1563.

Historical English documents show that the Massachusetts Company in 1629 sent seeds of pear trees to plant and grow into fruit trees at the American colony located at Plymouth, Massachusetts. Captain John Smith reported in 1629 that seed-grown peach trees were growing in the American colony at Jamestown, Virginia. Apple trees were grown at Boston, Massachusetts, in 1629 by William Blackstone, an American colonist, and this practice of planting fruit trees rapidly spread among many other farmers there.

Other fruit tree seeds that were sent for colonist farmers to plant and grow were: cherry, peach, plum, filbert, apple, quince, and pomegranate, and according to documents, “they sprung up and flourished.”

In 1707 historical Spanish mission documents show that fruit trees being grown by the Spanish-Americans were: oranges, fig trees, quince, pomegranates, peaches, apricots, apples, pear trees, mulberries, pecans and other trees.

General Oglethorpe, the first governor of the colony of Georgia, settled at Fort Frederica, located at Saint Simons Island, Georgia, in 1733, the same date that the city of Savannah, Georgia was founded, with the appointed purpose of introducing fruit trees that would grow valuable food sources for the Georgia farmers. John Bartram, the famous explorer and father of William Bartram traveled extensively, after the Spanish abandoned their lands, to take an inventory of plants, trees, and vines that might be useful to farmers in the American colonies.

General Oglethorpe imported 500 white mulberry trees, Morus alba, in 1733 to encourage and economically support the developing colonial interests in silk production at Fort Frederica, Georgia, colony of the English on the island of Saint Simons, Georgia.

Henry Laurens, a President of the American Continental Congress from South Carolina, introduced: olives, limes, everbearing strawberry, and red raspberry for culture in the colonies and from the south of France, he imported and introduced apples, pears, plums, and the white Chasselas grape which bore abundantly.

In 1763, George Mason recorded in his extensive fruit journal of his home orchard that he had planted an old French variety of pear tree, and he “grafted 10 black pear of Worchester.”

The Black Mission fig tree was made famous when it was found growing at a Spanish monastery in 1770.

The first American fruit tree nursery was opened in 1737 by Robert Prince at Flushing, New York who sold fruit to President George Washington, who visited the nursery. Prince Nursery advertised “42 pear trees for sale” in 1771 and “33 kinds of plums.” 500 white mulberry trees, Morus Alba, and 1000 black mulberry trees, Morus nigra, were bought by Robert Prince in 1774. Robert Prince sold an extensive list of grafted peach trees to President Thomas Jefferson, to be planted at the Jefferson home orchard at Monticello, Virginia. President Thomas Jefferson loved eating peaches, and he dried the peach slices into “peach chips” for his granddaughter and fermented fresh peaches into peach wine and distilled the mixture further into peach brandy. Jefferson also introduced the French mixture of tea and fresh peach juice called pesche (peach) tea. Jefferson experimented with the delightful “black plumb peach” of Georgia, well known today and still sold as the “Indian Blood Peach Tree.” Jefferson believed the Indian Blood Peach grew true to name from planted seed. Jefferson believed this celebrated peach tree had resulted from a natural hybrid cross between the French imported variety, “Sanguinole,” and naturalized peach trees, that were being grown by the Indians. Mulberry trees were planted at Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello home at a distance of 20 feet apart along with a list of other fruit trees, grapevines, and pecan trees.

William Bartram, in his book, Travels, wrote that he saw vigorous “two or three large apple trees” growing near Mobile, Alabama in 1773. These trees were likely grown from apple seed planted earlier by Indians, a gift from earlier American colonial farmers. Bartram also reported “the wild crabapple,” Pyrus coronaria, growing among the apple trees, probably a pollinator. William Bartram wrote that he visited near Mobile Alabama the remains of “ancient habitations, being there an abundance of peach and fig trees loaded with fruit.”

Bartram also reported that orange trees were grown and cultivated in large groves in 1790 and “3000 gallons of orange juice were exported.” Bartram mistakenly thought that the extensive orchards of citrus trees growing in Florida were native trees, but they had been planted by the Spanish explorers centuries before his book, Travels, was published.

William Bartram discovered the Ogeechee lime tree, Nyssa Ogeechee, growing near the Ogeechee River in Georgia, that “no tree exhibits a more desirable appears than this, in the autumn, when the fruit is ripe” and the fruit “containing an agreeable acid juice.” In his explorations, Bartram also reported seeing Chickasaw plum, Prunus chicasaw, and another wild plum, Prunus indica. In 1773, Bartram discovered fig trees planted and flourishing at Fort Frederica, Georgia, writing that after searching the ruins in the town, “only remain, peach trees, figs, pomegranates, and other shrubs, growing out of the ruinous walls of former spacious and expansive buildings, not only in the town, but at a distance in various parts of the island” of Saint Simons, Georgia.

Banana trees were introduced into America from Europe by the early Spanish explorers, and the plantain banana, that required cooking to eat, mutated from a green hard fruit to a sweet, fresh eating, yellow banana in the year 1836. A Jamaican, Jean Francois Poujot, discovered this outstanding banana cultivar growing quite distinctively different in appearance from the other plantain bananas planted in the field. Mr. Poujot multiplied this banana tree mutation into what would become the most popular and the most famous fruit tree in the world.

Apple tree orchards developed very rapidly in the 1800’s from the sale of apple seed for planting by the legendary Johnny Appleseed.

Perhaps the greatest developmental horticulturist and pomologist who ever lived was Luther Burbank, who settled in California and published a giant set of 10 volumes of books that outlined his fantastic experiments to improve fruit trees, berry plants, grapevines, nut trees, and many other perennials to include shade trees. Luther Burbank bred out the fuzz from peaches, which he stabilized into commercial nectarine trees. He also made many advances in hybridizing tasty varieties of plums and peach trees. Burbank imported Japanese, Oriental plum trees to be inbred with native American plum trees, that led to growing many commercial varieties that are top producers even today, such as: Burbank plum tree, Methley plum trees, Santa Rosa plum trees, and many others. Burbank strongly felt that the native American cherry trees that were extremely cold hardy should be intercrossed with commercial cherries in order to stabilize and inbreed the factor of cold hardiness. Burbank made numerous improvements on fruit trees involving pear trees and apple trees.

Fruit trees have provided food to wildlife, bird, and animals since the Biblical account of creation. Many birds are totally dependant on seeds of fruits, buts, berries, and grapes. Even when the pulpy, fleshy portions of fruits are gone, the seed remains preserved for months and sometimes for years to provide nourishment for wildlife birds and animals, and many of these seed being undigested germinate to grow later into pear trees, pecan trees, muscadine vines, or black raspberry bushes. The fruit trees of the world not only furnish calories for energetic living, but vitamins that are essential for growth are transplanted by the sunshine photosynthesis processes into forming fruits, berries, nuts, and grapes to insure a wonderful healthy lifestyle will continue. These fruit trees synthesize hormones and form the building blocks of proteins, fatty acids, and carbohydrates that chemically evolve into antioxidants. These antioxidants can help or suppress harmful body aging processes that often end in heart attacks, stroke, faulty blood pressure, and Alzheimer’s disease. Fruit trees, berry plants, nut trees, and grapevines are essential for man’s continued ability to maintain functional healthy bodies and to accumulate substantial agricultural wealth.

William Bartram reported in his book, Travels, the finding of fruit trees at a French plantation on an island at the Pearl River. Bartram wrote that he viewed “manured fruit trees arrive in this island to the utmost degree of perfection, as Pears, Peaches, Figs, Grape Vines, Plumbs & C.; the last mention genus, there is a native species that grows in this island, which produces its large…crimson frui…of a most enticing appearance.”History of Introduced Fruits into America – Native American Fruit Trees and Hybrid Fruit Tree Improv!9

19th Century, Coffee

Leave a comment


Coffee

Below is an impression about Coffee taken from the “Incidents of Western Travels,” letters written by George Pierce a Methodist Minister on a trip out to the Indian Mission in Oklahoma in 1856 and published in 1857.
A little before dark we came to an Indian cabin, and by signs and gestures made known our wish to tarry for the night. By signs and gestures we were made to understand that we could stay. We were left, of course, to wait upon ourselves; so we stripped our horses and led them to water; and when we returned, our host had brought to the lot a turn of corn and fodder, and as he let his own horses out, we put ours in and fed them to our hearts’ content. Now we marched to the house t* see about our own prospects for food and rest. There was but one room, but this was neat and comfortable, save that there was about it an undefinable odor, any thing but pleasant. It is common, I learned, to Indian habitations. The man, his wife and children, were well clad, and were attentive and polite according to their notions. Not a word of English could we get from any of the household. They could speak it, for they understood us very well in much of our talk: that was very obvious.

My good friend, McAlister, undertook to secure us a good supper by giving special directions, more particularly about the coffee—with me, when good, a favorite article. But, alas ! he succeeded better with every thing else than with this necessary beverage. By the way—pardon a little digression on this interesting theme—bad coffee is one of the afflictions of the land, and it is one of the miseries of travel. We find it everywhere—in taverns and private houses—among the rich and the poor. Often, when every thing else is clean and well prepared, the coffee is execrable stuff. Weak, or black, or unsettled, it is enough to make a well man sick. Why is this ? It is not stinginess, for there is often enough of the raw material, if it had been boiled and cleared. Sometimes, it is true, a man has to drink a good deal of water to get a little coffee ; but, generally, the difficulty is that the fluid is.muddy, the grounds all afloat; and then “the cup cheers” not, but sadly offends sight, smell, and taste.

The country needs a reform. It is more necessary to the welfare of the people than some other things that agitate the nation. In these days of Womens’ Rights I will not invade their province by pretending to give a recipe. I will only say, there must be good grains, well parched—not burnt—well boiled, and well settled; and then, as the cookery-books say, cream (not milk) and siigar “according to taste.” A lady of my acquaintance says it takes a tablespoonful of coffee to every cup; a little more would not hurt to make the article decently good. I wish the people—Indians and all—would try her proportions.

Posted by Lynn Coleman at 7:41 AM

Labels: 1856, 1857, Food, old letters